At Shutt, we're changing the way we manufacture your kit. By end 2020 we aim to be climate positive throughout our entire range. How are we achieving this? The first step is our custom range created using Oceanbalance sustainable technology. We combine modern sublimation printing and recycled polyester to create green, environmentally friendly kit that performs to the highest level.
How does it work?
Recovered ocean waste plastics and post consumer plastic bottles are collected and brought to an approved recycling facility where the process of turning waste into wearable fabric begins:
- A flotation and separation process separates the different types of plastics and in the case of bottles removes the caps and labels from the bottles, as they are made of plastics with different characteristics.
- The selected Polyethylene Terephthalate materials are then processed into flakes.
- After being washed the flakes are melted.
- Yarns are pulled from the melted polyester.
- The result is a clean, valuable, and recycled raw material perfect for textile fabric production.
- The raw filament yarns are spun into yarn and ultimately woven into variety of different Oceanbalance fabrics.
Almost every product has a manufacturing process that consumes energy and water, and produces carbon dioxide emissions and as such has an environmental impact.
- Save 3.785 litres of oil based products.
- Save enough water to provide drinking water to one person for five days.
- Save the amount of greenhouse gas emitted while driving a hybrid car for almost 25 km.
Oceanbalance Recycled Polyesters are environmentally friendly, cost-effective and safe; the regenerated polyester fibre is made from recycled ocean waste plastics and post consumer plastic bottles and performs as well as regular virgin polyester.
Here are some important facts about Oceanbalance fabrics:
- Oceanbalance recycling process requires 86% less water than manufacturing regular polyester.
- Making Oceanbalance fabrics consumes 70% less energy than regular polyester.
- The CO2 emissions in creating Oceanbalance fabrics are 75% lower.
- 1 kg of Oceanbalance fabric can keep the equivalent of 60 water bottles out of environment.
- Using Oceanbalance fabrics helps us to not only keep plastic out of the landfills and oceans, but also to save our natural resources.
- An average cycling jersey made from Oceanbalance uses the equivalent of 13 x 2 liter PET bottles.
And in addition, we test and make sure that there are no harmful substances including:
- No Formaldehyde
- No Phenols
- No Heavy Metals
- No VOC
Oceanbalance also uses special eco-friendly treatments for breathability, UV protection and easy care.
Click here to see our full Oceanbalance range. Custom orders take 4-5 weeks and our professional design service is free for customers.