At Shutt, we've been changing the way we manufacture your kit. As our business grows, we want to be a positive force in the World and, for us, that means taking steps to minimise our environmental impact and address the imbalances of industry in any area where we can make a difference.
With ‘greenwashing’ (unsubstantiated environmental claims about products) on the rise, we’re aiming to be transparent about our efforts. Being a premium apparel brand means that first and foremost we have a responsibility to the sustainability of textile production.
We’ve chosen our manufacturers very carefully and we’re proud to have a select few fabric partners that we know put substantial effort into maintaining a reputation as leaders and innovators in environmental practices and chemical restrictions.
The different fabric technologies - REPETITA® and Green Soul Recycling
You will notice two different technologies in use across the Shutt range. Both fabric lines are from Italian based manufacturers and both carry the Global Recycling Standard Certification.
Repetita® 100% post-consumer recycled yarns - plastic waste into performance fabric!
Repetita® uses polyester regenerated from PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) plastic found in landfill and the oceans. The supply chain is fully traceable so we’re able to guarantee 100% sustainable methods in its production, starting from the raw material itself.
Repetita® Sustainability Indicators
- Reduced dependence from petrochemicals
- Reduced consumption of water
- Reduced energy consumption (-51.6% energy consumption comapred to traditional polyester production)
- Reduced Landfill (1kg of rPET fabric = 25 bottles)
MITI Green Soul Recycling
MITI have been pioneering Low Environmental Impact fabrics since 2007 and today's Green Soul range combines the use of 100% sustainable recycled fibers with the most environmental friendly dyeing and finishing processes with no compromise on the performance of the fabrics.
What is Bluesign®? What does that actually mean?
The BLUE WAY by Bluesign® is an internationally recognised, leading solution for sustainability in textile production.
To be a Bluesign® partner means that the fabric production facilities are assessed and judged on their environmental efforts in the following areas.
More detail on these can be found here.
To make a difference in these areas our fabric producers must use the latest solutions (developed by Bluesign®) and the best applied practices. The end result is a win for everyone as there is an increasingly competitive advantage while simultaneously reducing effects on the environment and people.
Essentially, if products carry the Bluesign® label then you can be sure that a truly significant investment has been made to ensure:
- Highest degree of safety for the consumer
- Manufacturing with lowest possible impact on people and the environment
- Responsible use of resources
Why is this important?To date, the production process of textiles has been alarmingly damaging to the environment, both locally and globally. Formaldehyde, Phenols, Heavy Metals and VOC have all remained common byproducts as producers reached for lower prices and quicker methods. Not to mention the plastic waste, energy inefficiencies and huge CO2 emissions that are produced.
For more information on the environmental impact of textiles and fashion we’d recommend reading this briefing document published by the European Parliament in 2019.
What else are you doing?
We’re constantly exploring other ways that as a business we can take action.
- Everyone at Shutt works from home full time and is encouraged to ride their bikes as much as possible.
- We recently switched to a fulfilment centre who have a similar environmental stance and have implemented a raft of their own green initiatives.
- We’ll be moving to 100% recycled packaging in the very near future.
- Our product range is expanding with up-cycled goods (like this Micro Wallet made from old tyres!)
- We personally visit and carefully select all our production facilities to ensure our partners have safe and prosperous working conditions.
Anything else to add?
Shutt kit is built to last. When you make a clothing purchase with us, know that it is an investment - our products will stand the test of time and the rigours of modern day cycling.